September 25, 2011

Meet Me at the Oasis

Almost 2 years after we bought our house, we finally landscaped our backyard.  It's so nice to have a little (emphasis on "Little") oasis in the middle of our busy lives to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening.


Before

 
You've always got to have a Before shot.  It makes the reveal that much more dramatic...


 Did I mention it was a small backyard?  Hey, I live in the middle of Los Angeles, so it's more like a really big balcony.



After
 Pretty....


 Mmmm...lemons...can't wait till they're ripe.  Can you say Marga-rita?

The view sitting on the love seat.  We still have to buy a table for outside the sliding doors.

Creating a little mystery with the edge blur function...  We still have to paint the back wall--Kato is planning to create a bas relief.

It will take a while for everything to grow in.  We will be planting a little herb garden here.

 
We have bougainvillea planted on the 4 corners of the pergola that we will train up the sides to cover the top.

The purple flowers attract hummingbirds--so our kitties will have some amusement. (Poe is on the left and Mandu on the right--their little brother is sleeping somewhere).

 
Ahhh, something nice to come home to...

My husband is an architect and he designed the layout.  If you're interested in hiring a seriously talented architect send me an email!!  The landscape designer is Robert Fisher owner of Root 2 Bloom here in LA.  He was wonderful to work with and I love that he's into xeriscape landscaping.  He's doing our front yard as well, so I'll be posting more before and after pics!

A note on my "After" shots:  I took a great Digital SLR class on Saturday from Julia Dean Photo Workshop.  The instructor (Amanda Keller Konya) taught us in such a clear, simple yet incredibly informative manner.  I had many "aha" moments.   I normally use the AV setting (aperture priority), but this time it was all Manual--which seemed so intimidating prior to class.  I still need some practice, but I barely had to touch up these shots.  I look forward to my future posts looking just a little better....



3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a transformation. What an absolutely beautiful and tranquil space. It would be interesting to hear about how you came to this concept and who assisted.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing, jo!! what a difference. made me want to come over for a margarita!! :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers