January 30, 2011

Bad-Ass Animals: the Spiny Orb Weaver

It's been difficult for me to get back into blogging given the range of emotions I'm going through and still dealing with intense grief of losing my mother.  I find my inspiration returning, however, and feel the flow of ideas starting again...


I decided to start back with something that is inspired by my time in Florida.  The Spiny Orb Weaver spider.

I took these photos on the screened-in patio of my mother's house.  I grew up with these really cool, bad-ass spiders and never knew much about them.  They are found throughout subtropical Florida and are identified by their white bellies with black spots and red spines.  Very fashion forward.

They are referred to as "Orb Weavers" for the shape of their web they weave.

They may look kind of mean, but they just keep to themselves and hang out.

Juxtaposed against a decorative purple glass light.

On top of the screen--a little closer to heaven.

Working on a new home.  Floridians tend to like spiders because spiders eat mosquitoes and other annoying bugs.

Spiders can also be cool in fashion--even beyond Goth.


Hanna Bernhard has a beautiful, creative line of pins and necklaces.  Not only of spiders but of sea creatures and wild animals.  I'll do a post on her jewelry soon.

Who wouldn't want to be stylin' in this hat.  I'll work it into a style post of mine...

Miu Miu did a more abstract version in a handbag.

By the way, I'm known to do "spider rescue catch and release" from my house so my cats--and my husband--won't kill them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers