February 26, 2011

Grandma's Jewelry Creations

I've mentioned before what an incredible talent my grandmother was.  She was ahead of her time in so many ways and a real renaissance woman that saw so many changes in her lifetime (1904-1999).  In going through some of my mother's jewelry, I found some pieces that my grandmother made.  The shocking thing is I see these same style pieces in fashion magazines and pictures of celebrities now--and my grandmother made these in the 1960's and 70's.  Below is but a small sampling of her creations.

Crystals in the rough.

I love her wire-work detailing wrapped around the crystal.

She somehow dipped or wrapped a lot of her pieces in gold.  I love how rugged this cross looks.

Side detailing.

You can find pieces like this selling for a couple hundred dollars.  The back of this is all gold.

I've actually had this piece for a while.  It's quite large, about 3 1/4 " long and rimmed in gold.


A little smaller piece of jade.  I love how she took the imperfections (the chips) in the stone and made a design detail with the gold.

This is all twisted metal with amethyst and quartz stones.

The big, beautiful ring looks great on the index finger.  I think she made a wax mold with these.

Big flower ring.

I'm not sure what she was going for, but it's totally bad ass.

My mother was really involved in music, so my grandmother made her these earrings with aqua marines.

I love having these pieces to remind me of the talented women I'm lucky enough to be related to.  :)


1 comment:

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers