January 3, 2012

Doodle Art Posters



Way back when....in the late 70's/early 80's I was obsessed with Doodle Art.  I begged my parents to buy me these big posters that came in tubes sold with vibrantly colored markers of intricately drawn images that I would spend hours coloring in till my hands hurt.  Of course I never finished them!  I was drawn not only to the slightly abstract flow of the black on white line drawing, but to the endless possibilities of color placement and combinations.

The company was started in 1972 with the poster "Ecology" and now they have over 90 different designs.  Here are a few that have been colored in by some dedicated artist....All photos from Flickr.

"Ecology" 1972

"Mythology" 1973

"Butterflies" 1973

"Sunken Treasure" 1973

"Jungle" 1974

"The Sea" 1983

"Dragon Fantasy" 1983

"Flowers" 1986

"Kaleidoscope" 1988

"Threatened Species" 1991

"Great Barrier Reef" 1992

"Bugs N' Birds" 1996

"Fairy Tales" 1996

"Aquarium"  (Not sure when this is from, but I think it's the most recent.

If you're interested in buying posters to start your doodling, you can buy them online at DoodleArt.  They are also selling them on Amazon.

5 comments:

  1. omg....i have recently rediscovered doodle art and have ordered one from amazon with a new set of markers (i know i'm a geek). Remember when you could buy them at Spencer gifts? I went into Spencer's at my local mall the other day and the clerk looked at me like i had three heads. I guess this means we are getting older lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Concert. Been trying to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, you cannot imagine how happy I am ! my name is fabienne I'm french and I lived in the state years ago and there I did one big doodle art poster that I loved, and back here since 1992 I've been looking for some to buy, thanks because now I know where to look for and hope the can ship it to france .Thanks again you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bottom one Aquarium should be 1985 I believe. It was drawn by my mother Marcia VanWoert. She was commissioned to complete a set of them and some books too.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers