September 19, 2010

NYFW: Betsey Johnson

Yesterday I posted pictures from the Rebecca Minkoff show at New York Fashion Week.  The Betsey Johnson show was an actual runway show.  The energy and ambiance reflected her quirky and unconventional approach to fashion.  She started her own line in 1978 and has kept true to those post-punk early 80's roots.  Her Spring 2011 show had elements of that post-punk era mixed with Urban Skate, mid-'80's fluorescent, Americana prairie, and even Sailor.  Where I was sitting, I couldn't get any good pictures, (although I've included a few shots) so I used the pictures from Style.com.

I had a side view of the runway.

This was as good a picture as I could get.  It's nice to see a little of the crowd, though.  On to the professional photos:

A little better view of the girl above.

A Keith Haring-inspired print.











It's nice to see models smiling on the runway.





I just loved these gowns with fluorescent accents.





The wacky designer herself--of course she would ride a bike down the runway with training wheels on!  In fact, her theme from the show was "Ride Me".

She had many more styles in the show, but these were my favorite.
 

2 comments:

  1. Betsy looks like a cross between a scarecrow and a drag queen. While she has some good ideas, most of her collection seems irrelevant and outdate, after all poodle skirts where fashionable and popular too at one time. It’s time that she modernizes her style to represent today and tomorrow’s funky-pop fashion not yesterdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous Thanks for your comments. I have to agree to a certain extent--it felt like she re-hashed stuff I had of hers in the 80's. However, she had some new twists to old ideas, like the gowns with the fluorescent inks, that gave it a fresh look.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers