June 27, 2010

Re-cut Vintage Tee: M.C. Escher

To continue my Re-Cut Tee series, here is my M.C. Escher tee.  The vintage tee shirt guy I bought these from told me that this shirt cost more because it's "Escher--very famous artist".  Like I wouldn't know who this fabulous, genius is!  Not to mention, surrealist art is being recognized again--probably thanks in part to films like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.  I think I kept this Escher tee in character--Escherizing it!
 
Very cool graphic.
 
The shirt was XL, so I had some fabric to work with.
 

I folded it off-center in the front and drew on a sewing line with marking chalk.  I then sewed a running stitch down the line, starting an inch below the neckline and ending at the bottom hem.
 
I cut open the folded section that I had just sewed.  Then I cut both sleeves off, narrowing the shirt.  I re-sewed the sides to make it more fitted.
 

To finish, I added 5 inches of elastic to the inside side seams, holding it taut as I used a zigzag stitch to create a ruching effect.  I then turned the neck and sleeve seams over to finish the edges--also with a zigzag stitch.
 

And of course, styled it into a cute little outfit.  Jacket (my own) from Forever 21.  Shoes and shorts from Modcloth.  Vintage purse from Gumby Girl.  G-shock watch.  Carerra Sunglasses.

1 comment:

  1. love the t-shirt makeover! And the purse, of course!!
    www.gumbygirl.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers