November 18, 2010

Artist Series: Mom's Quilts Pt. 1

I thought my artist series this month would be my mother's quilts.  Those of you who know my mother know what an exceedingly talented, generous and loving woman she is.  She has touched so many lives with her dedicated involvement throughout the years in Girl Scouts, church choirs, hosting AFS (exchange) students and, among other things, quilting.

She has been creating quilts for many years now.  Her sense of color, technique and design bring a unique approach to a traditional craft and art form.  This is but a small sampling of some of her quilts.  My photos don't do them justice, but you get the idea.

For all the love she gives.

This is one of my favorite.  It is a "watercolor" technique and has 3 dimensional flowers in the center.

Close up detailing.

This is her interpretation of Plantation Heritage Park (with the fountain in the middle).

She created this for Chinese New Year's.  I think I actually sketched out the dragon.

"Her First Prom"


Close up detail of the ribbons and pearls.

Purple is her favorite color and Irises one of her favorite flowers.

Stitching detail.

I think these are called windmills.  I love the color combination.

She created this one for her church choir.  These are mostly hand appliqued.

She created this mariner's compass for my father.  It was from a workshop I attended with her--a week in the mountains of Montana.  Of course her version came out much nicer than mine!  And of course, she had to finish mine so I could give it to my husband.

This is the center.

This is actually a huge king size quilt.  Every square has a different color combination but they all work beautifully together.

Stitching details.

She has made quilts for so many people and has never accepted payment for any of them.  She makes them out of love for the craft and the person she's creating it for.

I'll be going to Florida to spend some time with my mother, so I'm not sure how often I'll be posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers