November 13, 2010

Vintage Ads: The Politically Incorrect Cigarette

I found this great website with vintage ads.  There are many different categories and decades, but I just loved the whole political incorrectness of the cigarette advertising of the 1950's.  The ads range from the truly absurd (a mom holding a baby) to the beautifully illustrated.  I can just hear the ad-men pitching their ideas in a boardroom filled with smoke...

That's exactly the tag line I think of when I look at her expression.



So, you're saying I'll be this beautiful if I smoke Lucky Strikes?

I actually love this illustration and colors.

 Another beautiful illustration.  But what am I supposed to be making up my mind about?

And you too can be as cool as Mister X if you don a top hat and wander around in the blue mist.


Smoking angel playing the piano.  Nothing absurd here.


Because nothing says shrimp cocktail like a pack of Pall Malls.

And nothing says thinking man like telescopes and stars.

The good old days when they passed around cartons of smokes on airplanes.

This one just makes me giggle.  The precursor to Size Matters?

Why a fish tank?  And is that quality time he's spending with his daughter?

There's all kinds of wrong with this ad.

Where do I start...

The original Marlboro Man.  Classic.

Disclaimer:  I'm not advocating smoking,  just advocating finding amusement in the past.

I can't wait for the alcohol post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers