November 15, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Curried Lentil Salad

There's, well, I guess you could call it a "movement" to go meatless on Mondays.  This wasn't a stretch for me as I haven't eaten red meat or pork for many years now.  I also look at Mondays as a nice day to detox.  I'll try and post a new vegetarian recipe or idea a couple of Mondays a month.  Here is my first one: a curried lentil salad.  I had this years ago at a pot luck lunch and loved the complexity of flavors.  The recipe is super easy, but unfortunately has around 1 million spices.  Ok, I exaggerate, but who has Mace sitting in their cupboard?

It's best to start this the night before to let the flavors marinate together.

Here are the ingredients you'll need:

Red Lentils.  These can be a challenge to find.  I found this pack at my local grocery store in the international food section.

The spices: salt, pepper, sugar, cumin, dry mustard, turmeric, mace, coriander, cardamon, cayenne pepper, ground cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  You'll also need olive oil (the recipe calls for vegetable oil, but I only ever use olive oil), and wine vinegar.

The added extras: currants (unfortunately, those are also difficult to find, so I'm just using regular raisins), capers, and red onion.

Directions:

Whisk together the following ingredients (in the order listed) in a medium size bowl:

3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin 
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Meanwhile, add 1 pound (2 cups) washed red lentils to boiling water.  Boil for 5-6 minutes.  Rinse with cold water.  Add the prepared dressing above to the lentils.  Let sit overnight or at least 2 hours.

A couple of hours before serving, add the following ingredients to the lentil salad:

1 cup currants
1/3 cup capers
1 1/2 cups finely diced red onion (I only use about 3/4 cup and I chopped it in a food processor)

Serve on a pretty platter.

I found the same recipe my friend gave me here for easier viewing and if you want to print it out.

For info about Meatless Mondays go to their website.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

We are surrounded by beauty, artistry and creativity. Sometimes we need to shift our focus ever so slightly to open up to the world of fascination. I hope this helps you on your road to re-enchantment.

Followers